The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 Quietpoint Active Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones is one of the popular and affordable choices for blocking out background noise when you are listening to music. It boasts precision in terms of noise canceling which can block as much as 90 percent of ambient noise.
When it comes to noise canceling, there are certain factors that you should consider when buying in-ear headphones.
For one, the ear tips should be as snug to your ears as possible. After all, the fit will determine how effective it can be to block out the noise and retain sound.
Here are some buying tips as well as an Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 noise canceling in-ear headphones review to help you.
Buying Tips: 4 Features to Look for in a Noise Cancelling in Ear Headphones
1. Noise Cancelling vs. Noise Isolation
There is a huge difference between the two, but this is mainly on the process how they block out background noise. Noise isolating headphones block out noise by physical means. However, in most cases, this process only muffles the sound instead of completely blocking it out.
Noise canceling headphones, on the other hand, uses a dedicated noise canceling technology that helps actively cancel out whatever sound waves there are from background noises. They are more effective in blocking out background noise than noise isolating headphones.
2. Comfort and Fit
The comfort is also important in noise-canceling headphones, especially if you are planning to use it for long periods. It shouldn’t leave your ears ringing and red even after a few hours of use.
3. Sound Quality
The best noise canceling earbuds shouldn’t be at the expense of sound quality. It should be able to limit or cancel out background noise without affecting the overall quality of the sound.
There might be a lot of high-end earbuds out there, but there are also good quality ones that can be great alternatives. There are various options for noise canceling earphones, find the best feature wise that fits your budget.
Related Review: Westone UM Pro 30 vs. Shure SE425: a Comparative Product Review
If you are simply looking for the best affordable noise-canceling earbuds, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 is one of the popular recommendations. Aside from it can reduce quite a high percentage of background noise, it also has a long battery life.
- Comes with an extensive accessory bundle: The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 is one of the best choices in-ear headphones, giving you your money’s worth for all the extras you can get with it. It has quite an extensive accessory bundle, all the things you need for nice noise isolation and noise canceling in-ear headphones.
- Balanced and clear sound output: These in-ear headphones sound excellent whatever type of music or genre you are listening to. While the highs will be a bit rolled off, it can still produce quite an extensive detail. The mids will also come out warms while the bass stays very controlled and not boomy. Overall, listening to music using these in-ear headphones is not harsh on the ears.
- Great active noise canceling feature: One of the selling points of the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 Quietpoint Active Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones is its active noise canceling feature. It can block out both high and mid-frequency sounds very well. You can listen to music and other audio files without any worry that people’s voices and any other environmental noise can interfere with your entertainment.
- Noise canceling is not as effective when used on low-frequency noise: Even with the active noise canceling feature turned on when using the in-ear headphones, you will still be able to hear low-frequency noises clearly. While its noise canceling can be very great for both high and mid-frequency sounds, it isn’t as effective when it comes to low-frequency noise. If you are using these in-ear headphones for a long flight, you might not be as ecstatic since it won’t be able to block out the jet engine noise fully.
- Control unit to the earpiece is a little too short: The wire that connects the noise canceling module and the earpiece is a little bit short. It can be a problem if you are a very tall person. The short wire connection can get very annoying and difficult to clip the module to your pocket or your belt.
- Extremely compact in-ear design, ideal for travel use
- An advanced electronic canceling feature that blocks about 90% of background noise
- Soft but sturdy three interchangeable ear tips that provide a custom fit
- comes with Comply Foam ear tips for outstanding seal and noise isolation
- Innovative ANC circuitry that helps provide the perfect audio signal when in a noise canceling mode.
- Audio functions still available without battery
- Ideal for use with various audio sources from portable players, MP3, and mobile phones
What’s in the Box?
Audio-Technica won’t disappoint you. Upon opening the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 Quietpoint Active Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones box, you’re in for a treat. Aside from the in-ear headphones itself, you’ll also get three extra ear tips available in different sizes with foam tips which can provide better noise isolation compared to silicone tips, a single AAA alkaline battery as well as a two-prong airline adapter.
There is also a carrying pouch which is a big advantage to avoid any tangles when you have to carry around your earphones. Also, there’s a dedicated manual included inside the box.
Design and Build
The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 has an in-ear design approach which means you have to point and slip it forward to your ear canal. If you are using this kind of headphone for the first time, it can get a little uncomfortable, but that is only because you are still not familiar with its design.
This in-ear approach is great for a lot of reasons. Since it points directly towards your ear, it can provide a better seal which then means better noise isolation and retention.
While it might take a bit of getting used to, the noise isolation result will be worth it. In addition, the design of this in-ear headphones is also quite comfortable for your ears.
At first glance, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 might look just your average in-ear headphones. It doesn’t have a lot of going on in terms of external design except for its plain dark grey finish and a very subtle Audio Technica logo located at the back part of the headphones.
While it might look like your average in-ear headphones, the extensive design of the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 lies on the inside. There is a tiny microphone inside the earphones responsible for sending the ambient noise it registers then routes it to the built-in QuietPoint circuitry. From there, the sound waves will be produced that is 180 degrees far from the background noise.
Related Product Review: FOSTEX T50RP vs. HifiMan HE-400: Two Orthodynamic Headphones
The control module that comes with this in-ear headphones is relatively small and features the same black finish with a slight silver accent for its on and off button, a shirt clip, and a small LED light. While the knob is small, it’s quite easy to use for volume changes. The power button for its noise-canceling located at the control box is also easy enough to maneuver.
If you are looking for additional controls like a call or music button or an inline control for skipping tracks, you won’t get it from here.
The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 uses a single AAA battery that is tucked inside its control box. Its battery power can last for as much as 60 hours of continuous listening. More than that, one of the best things about this in-ear headphones is that it can still operate very well even without the battery which is not usually the case with earphones from other manufacturers.
The cable the connects the control box, and the in-ear headphones are oddly proportioned which is the only thing that is a little baffling with this device’s design and build. The cable is a little too short if you want to clip it to your pocket or your belt.
It is also a little too long if you want to clip it to your shirt. The wire that connects the control box to the plug is also a bit too short for attaching it to your mobile device and placing it inside your pants’ pocket. In this case, it seems like this in-ear headphones can best accommodate those who are wearing a jacket or a hoodie with front pockets.
The cabling of this in-ear headphones is also a little thin. While it would be a great device for casual and moderate physical activity listening sessions, it wouldn’t be best to use if you are into high-intensity workouts.
At just 0.09 lbs., the in-ear headphones are extremely light and portable. You can carry it around inside your pocket, purse, or bag pocket. It comes with a soft drawstring pouch, too, which can help avoid any scratches on the surface of the headphones.
Noise Canceling Performance
When it comes to noise canceling, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 is the best in its kind. When you listen to music or a video, you’ll be immersed entirely with what you are listening to, completely unaware of any noise from your background.
This in-ear headphones can block as much as 90 percent of background sounds. Without any music playing, it can also still be effective in muffling and blocking out ambient noise. Whether there are a lot of annoying bus passengers yelling and talking, wailing babies or shouting children, you’re good to go.
Overall, the noise canceling feature of the Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 is quite effective in blocking out any continuous sounds. However, it is not as effective in reducing sudden sounds and noises like car horns.
When it comes to noise canceling earbuds, the seal it creates against your ear is one of the primary telling factors how effective it can be in canceling ambient noises. The great thing about this in-ear headphones is that it comes with various ear tips in different sizes that should fit and snug perfectly in your ears.
Audio-Technica earphones have always been one of the go-to earphones for people who like listening to music. They’ve put winning drivers in this in-ear headphones that it is not only perfect for listening to music but also for recording. It can provide the smoothest tones.
The bass of the in-ear headphones is extremely balanced and listening to whatever music genre would never give you muddled sounds. Moreover, it can provide quite an excellence in high frequencies, especially if they are from top-notch recordings.
However, if you try to listen to a recording with a lot of different textures and instruments at the highest volume, it tends to be a little muddled and flat with lesser layer clarity.
This is exactly testing the limit of the in-ear headphones.
Is It Worth Your Bucks?
With its street price and its features and specifications, along with the other extras that come with the box, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 can be quite a steal. It is especially so when compared to some of the most expensive earbuds’ models.
If you are simply looking for an effective noise canceling in-ear headphones with good sound quality, the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 is a great option.
Verdict: Who Should Buy Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 In-Ear Headphones?
The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 is best recommended for those who want to have a peaceful and quiet ride while enjoying some good music. If there’s too much distracting noise and you have to work or study, this can be a great partner for blocking out background noise, too.
If you are simply looking to enjoy some music, these in-ear headphones are also among the best in its kind and price range. It can be a fantastic tool for listening to various types of music from pop, rock, jazz, reggae, and electronic pieces.
Looking for a headphone that can block out the majority of background noise but won’t cost you a lot of bucks? The Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 Quietpoint Active Noise Cancelling In-Ear Headphones is your best budget noise canceling headphone.